Friday, January 9, 2009

I Would Have Been Making Gourmet Meals in My Dorm Room

Oh thank goodness the weekend is nearly here. Work has been slow every single day; there's always a calm before the storm each month, and this was it. But I expect things to change come Monday.

Admittedly, at the office I have spent most of my free time (and again, there has been a lot of it) reading through cookbooks, culling recipes for the slow cooker my mom gave me for Christmas.

I had asked for one, because I felt like, with my schedule, it would make life easier. And I could have had no idea how right that feeling was. As it turns out, this little magical cooking pot has revolutionized my life.

Cooking in this thing is so ridiculously easy that I'm almost embarrassed to use the term 'cooking'. So far it's meant the least amount of work I've ever done in the kitchen for the best meals I've ever made: slow-cooked chili, corned beef and cabbage, thai-style beef with peanut sauce, barbecue chicken, pot roast and so on.

And so, this week I've been perusing the internet and my newly purchased cookbook for more recipes in which all I have to do is chop, pot and run. Why, oh why, did I not catch on to this while I was in college?

Today I'm making beef stew with yams and a base of barbecue sauce and apricot preserves, and this weekend I want to try spareribs, another soup and particularly, a chocolate fudge cake. Can you believe you can make cakes in a crockpot?! If you're more cooking-savvy than I, you probably did, but let's just let me enjoy my little discovery. I'll post about how my fudge-a-rific "experiment" turns out this weekend.

No comments: