Monday, September 3, 2007

This Isn't Really A Post About Spas

You're just going to have to stay with me on this one and try not to get lost.

Last week I spent my lunch hour looking into a potential trip to the spa. I've never been to one before, and it sounded like a nice way to relax. I quickly uncovered that even a weekend stay at any one of these places is not cheap.

To be truthful, I did always suspect that these places were pretty expensive, but somehow I imagined that I would still be able to find something more in line with say, the Holiday Inns of spas, as opposed to the Hiltons or the Hyatts. And then I was forced to remember that I live in the Phoenix metro area, a.k.a. the Resort and Spa Capital of the Southwest. That's like living in Tiffany's and yet still expecting to find a cheap diamond within arm's reach. (Oh fine, it was lousy, but you get my point anyway, right?)

So, having absolutely no problem whatsoever admitting that I earn nowhere near enough to fund a full-fledged relaxation getaway, but not wanting to abandon all hope just yet, I checked for any special rates and/or packages. And lo and behold, I found some.

But as I read on, it became apparent that the vast number of them were created for couples.

Not just friends.

Couples.

Do people not go to the spa alone?

I think it's interesting that there are so many situations where people are expected to arrive, to enjoy, and to leave with another person.

I go to the movie theater and buy a ticket for myself, and the ticket salesperson will ask the person behind me, "Same movie?" assuming that we came together.

I go to restaurants and the hostesses frequently ask me, "...And will there be two tonight?"

The company plans events and the all-important question is, "Who will you be bringing?"

I don't have a problem with being with someone, and I don't have a problem with being alone. But there are these little things I notice which make me wonder if most of society doesn't expect for a person to either already be in a relationship or be working on being in one. Very interesting.

But my god, who are these couples who are always going to the spa?? Can I be their friend??


Photos, top two: ©2007 The Phoenician, LLC

Photos, bottom two: ©2005 Sanctuary Camelback Mountain

No comments: