Monday, March 30, 2009

And Then I Needed a Beer

Last week's print was the perfect storm.

Not only did our production server keep dropping offline (which makes it nearly impossible to actually produce any magazines, go figure), but our lead graphic designer's wife, who was approximately nine months pregnant last week, started going into labor on Friday morning -- the most important day of print ... the day with all the hard and fast deadlines ... the last day to fix mistakes in the magazines ... the day that absolutely everything is wrapped up, locked up and sent off to the printer. Our designer had to leave immediately, meaning we were short our Print M.V.P.

And so, it was a very long night for the whole production team. I think that I left somewhere close to 1 a.m., at which time I had been at my computer for almost 16 hours. Yeah. It was awesome.

Maybe my gnarly print story explains why, after I had fully regained consciousness after a night spent sleeping like a log, my boyfriend and I decided Saturday afternoon that we needed to meander south, straight toward the Four Peaks Brewery in Tempe and enjoy a few tasty, locally brewed beverages.


Four Peaks beer is sold throughout the state, but neither of us had ever previously been to the brewery, and I have to say that it was a very, very cool experience.

The locale is now both a brewery and a restaurant, although I think it used to be a dairy creamer once upon a time. The building is old and was designed in the old mission-style of architecture. The interior is just one great big, wide open space with an extremely high ceiling and filled with beautiful wood floors, wooden tables and chairs, stools, a long wooden bar, and of course, the enormous metal tanks that hold the different brews.

If you like beer at all, even a little, you will get a kick out of the Four Peaks Brewery. And even if you don't like beer, the place has a fun atmosphere and the food is pretty good, too.

No comments: