Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Face the Music

I have two dance recitals this week, one tomorrow night and one on Saturday night. I've been taking a tap class for adults since August, and this week the end-of-the-year performances take place. Yesterday we had a tech rehearsal, and today was a dress rehearsal.

When I was a kid, events like this were beyond awesome. It was fun and exciting to wear a costume and perform in front of family and friends. But now that I'm an adult, I have a different perspective.

Oh they're still awesome, don't get me wrong. And for sure am I ready to proudly don my costume and perform my little heart out. But in my observations this week, I've noticed a disturbing component in all the hoopla ...

Now, there are moms who really get into the whole recital concept because they are proud of their kids and want to share in the excitement and joy of the festivities ... but then there are also moms who get super hyped up because they seem to be living vicariously through their adolescent daughters. These are usually women who danced once upon a time, when they, themselves, were in middle school or their teens. In an odd way, it's like these ladies can't let go of the past.

The situation is just a tad bit sad. I wish they wouldn't take themselves so seriously. We are a just a group of fun-loving, tap-dancing adults, and the recital should really be more about the kids, don't you think?

No comments: