Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Visit to the DBG


The boyfriend and I visited Phoenix's Desert Botanical Garden a few weekends ago.

Now, normally, I don't show much interest in, nor would I ever recommend, going to an outdoor attraction at the height of day in Arizona during the summer because of all the melting that inevitably takes place; however, this particular weekend we both agreed that the usual routine of hiding indoors all day desperately needed to be interrupted. At least just this once.

Results: I wish I could say I had some beautiful photos to show you, but the truth is that I spent so much time feeling unreasonably hot and disgusting that there were few moments in which I was willing to pause for photo ops. Therefore, I regret to report that I only have one photo of a cactus flower and one photo of a lizard to share.

After maybe a dozen attempts, I did manage to get a fairly clear shot of the lizard. Predictably, there are a lot of these little guys crawling around Arizona, but I have never seen one this big (maybe 8 or 9 inches long).


What I'm really looking forward to is this: Las Noches de las Luminarias, an event that takes place every December when the garden is lit by hundreds and hundreds of white lights and candles in paper bags.

By that time of year, the temperatures have usually turned just the right degree of chilly (well, chilly by AZ standards, anyway), making the atmosphere so cozy and perfect for chai tea, hot cocoa, pumpkin pie and all those other cool weather indulgences.

Not to mention there's also good wine and good music and good dancing. One of my favorite local musical acts are the Sahnas Brothers, who are regulars each year. They are full-blood Greeks who were raised in Mexico and play beautiful Spanish guitar melodies.

Ah, I can't wait until the high temperatures finally drop below 100 degrees.

Photos by Sway Sovay

No comments: