Saturday, May 15, 2010

Waving Goodbye, Saying Hello


I've been putting off writing this post for, well, about two weeks now, because I think I keep believing that if I don't say it, it isn't really true.

But the truth is, next Tuesday is my last day working full-time with the magazine. A handful of corporate positions, mine included, are being relocated to one of the magazine's coastal markets. And as my boyfriend and I agree that we don't want to leave Phoenix at this time, I won't be making the move with the company.

While this has been an incredibly demanding full-time job for the past two years, and I've often joked that it's the "best worst" job I've ever had, I have to say it makes me very sad to think about now being forced to abandon a department I worked so hard the past few years to build up into something awesome. Not to mention, I'll miss the people I worked so closely with. I definitely saw them more than my family over the past years, and maybe that's why they feel like family to me.

So since January, I've been looking for a new full-time job, but I'm afraid I've turned up empty-handed. I was offered a position in March, but the company wasn't a great fit for me, and after much thought, I had to decline. And so now, it would seem I'm going solo for a while.

The good news out of all of this? I'm actually going to be able to write full-time!!! And I'm really, really excited about that. As of right now, I already have one major client, but I'm hoping that with more time to devote to marketing myself, I'll be able to acquire more. And of course, the magazine will continue to send me out on assignments and pay me as a contractor for this and that.

As of Wednesday next week, it looks like my new title will be "Go-Getter." Or "Workhorse." It's too soon to tell.

No comments: