Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Worrying About How this Article Will Turn Out Keeps Me Up at Night

Little stressed out right now.

Last week the magazines went to print, which meant I was working 'round the clock all week, not only copy editing but also worrying over my own article I was writing, and then on Friday I ended up working from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m.

There is good news, though. The good news is that I'm taking this Friday off. (I'm going to the Grand Canyon!) The bad news is that this week I've jumped right into writing another article and there are probably up to a dozen people I will need to contact before I can put this baby to bed. Logistical nightmare.

My article will focus on the upcoming Scottsdale Fashion Week (Nov. 6-9), and although I'm excited to have the opportunity to take on this article, I'm also dreading it, too. There is so much to organize on the page and like I said, so many people to interview.

You know how artists tend to have a love/hate relationship with their art -- meaning they're passionate about it, but they're also their own harshest critics? Writers are like that, too. Fear of sucking is usually great motivation to procrastinate.

Right now I'm probably at 40% procrastination and 60% I just don't know where to start. No matter what, though, this article has to go to print on Halloween, which means it's due around the 15th, so let's hope I get a lot ironed out in a short time.

No comments: